Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Guess Who Came Out of the Woodwork?

Who is back in my life? Kirk, the guy who built our coffee table & end table for us! A little background on Kirk, he is a guy who specializes in woodwork of all kinds that I found on Craigslist around Thanksgiving last year. I was in the market for a new coffee table, and an end table for our new apartment. I was having a lot of trouble though, anything I found just did not fit the “theme” I was going for. I looked everywhere from Walmart to Pier One, in hopes of finding exactly what I wanted. No such luck. My theme consists of Adirondack/Lodge type decorations, which naturally would just not go with many of the modern styled furniture that is out there today. I searched a couple “Adirondack-themed” websites that I had purchased some of my decorations on, but those tables went for around $3,000.00. Yes, I said three thousand dollars. For a coffee table. Do I look like Bill Gates? (Don’t answer that). So basically I almost gave up, until…

One day I was looking around on Craigslist with the hopes of finding someone like myself, who enjoys decorating, and perhaps switched themes and already had a set of Adirondack like furniture that they needed to get rid of. (Kind of a stretch right?). Well, I did not find that, but I did find Kirk’s Ad, which stated that he could make anything out of wood with reasonable prices and quality that showed from years of experience in the field. So I gave Kirk a call on my way home from work that day.

I can’t even begin to explain what a stress-free and convenient process it was to get what I wanted. He was quick to respond, detailed & right on target with what I was thinking! It was like he knew exactly what I wanted, even from my ridiculously detailed explanation of “I want them to be Adirondacky, you know, like…Woodsy”. The tables were done within a week of me sending him a deposit, and were gorgeous! He even delivered them to our apartment. I was shocked at how well they turned out and how sturdy they were. All we needed to do was put a finishing seal on them and they were good to go. These tables will be in the family for many years! :)



The reason I say Kirk is back in my life though, is because I sent him an E-Mail the other day asking him to research the cost/details of adding another piece of furniture to our collection…A toy box for Hunter to match our coffee table and end table! This brilliant idea came from yours truly when I noticed that Hunter’s toy were already piling up in the living room. Oh no, he’s only 3 months old and doesn’t even play with toys and they are already causing clutter. Now listen, before you judge. I am very easy going and am not OCD when it comes to having stuff around the house, but I thought to myself…

1.) He is only going to get more toys as he keeps growing, and they need a place to live besides in his room.

2.) I am going to have to purchase a toy box for the living room to hold these toys.

3.) I JUST re-decorated the place & it all coordinates (yes, I’m proud, it took a lot of planning).

So why would I add a bright tacky toy box with cartoon pictures plastered on it when I could have my new friend Kirk make me one that matches my furniture.

Yay! So I get it priced out and it’s very reasonable considering the amount of use Hunter (and maybe other kids someday) will get from it. I am very excited to start a new project with Kirk because as I said before, he is a joy to work with. Not to mention, I can’t wait to see what he comes up with for the toy box! It’s going to be great. I’ll keep you posted, I’m thinking of doing it around Christmas time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...