Tuesday, August 18, 2009

You Kill the Joe, You make some Mo

Ah that saying brings tears to my eyes as I recall how much I have laughed about it. I guess truthfully, in order to get the full extent of what happened to me in the break room today, you have to watch this video first.

Terry Tate-Office Linebacker

Now you can imagine why I started laughing to myself like a fool, and why I actually had to turn away to look out the window after I started brewing another pot of coffee. Let me recreate the scenario for you…

It’s 9:35 am, in Paychex world it already feels like 3:00 in the afternoon, but NO, I’ve only been at work for 35 minutes so far. My coffee cup is empty, and I decide it’s time to refill. Now, at the Linden Hills office where I work, there are two break rooms. Each one contains a coffee-maker, that can technically hold 3 pots. Normally one is decaf, and the other two are regular. It is part of my colleagues and myself’s duties to make more coffee when it’s empty or getting low. I do my fair share in replacing what I take due to the fact I drink about 5 cups a day while I’m at work.

On this particular morning though, I am very eager to refill. I have a conference call coming up that I’m not looking forward to, so my coffee is like my pick-me-up for the morning. PLUS, I just bought a new creamer that sounded delicious, so basically I’m practically “running” to the break room.(Running is in quotations because to me that means walking steadily, as I am wearing heels and do not want to wipe out in front of the entire office).

As I’m entering the break room I pass by a colleague of mine who shall remain nameless, but is carrying his Paychex Monogrammed Travel Mug (GO GREEN), much like myself. He smiles and says Good Morning, and I return his greeting with a hello and big smile (I am about 10 feet from my destination at this point), and continue on my way.

Much to my surprise, the pot is empty. Now, if you were watching the video closely, you will see that this is not office protocol. So I think to myself, “WWTTD?” (What would Terry Tate do)? That’s when the visions began…

All I could picture was my coffee-loving fellow Paychex co-worker pouring the last cup into his stupid blue mug (I chose yellow), and then envisioned myself charging at him Terry Tate style, while saying “You kill the joe, you make some mo”. Funny, as I start another pot and stand there waiting, I start laughing to myself at the thought. Mostly because I outweighed the guy by like 30 lbs, and also because he was so unsuspecting. Then of course, in walks another colleague and sees me laughing to myself. I’m surprised I have friends at all, taking into consideration my “Creep-Factor”.

Basic lesson of this story; RE-FILL THE COFFEE! It’s the right thing to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...