Tuesday, November 16, 2010

DIY Kitchen Island

So, I am finally finished with my kitchen island project! It wasn't too difficult at all, and I am very pleased with the final result. If you are looking to do this on your own, I highly recommend research research research. Look online at Kitchen Islands that you would like to buy (If you were Bill Gates..). Take note of the dimensions and details involved. Decide what your style is... and then it's easier to sort through ones that will "work" for you, and which ones wont.

Depending on your location *although I'm pretty sure Craigslist.com, or something similar to it is popular in most areas these days* start searchin'!

For me, I knew what I was looking for, it was just finding the right one, in the right location, for the right price (since it was a DIY project, I didn't want to spend over $50 initially...). Once you've nailed down the right dresser you will start "preparing".

First I'll start with my before pictures...



(Before) Front View. There were actually (4) white knobs on the top shelves but I took them off before the pic.


(Before) Side View...



(Before) Back View. Just your typical dresser with an unfinished back. (Notice Hunter in the foreground, he wouldn't get out of the pic, he was far too busy getting into things...)

First, I pulled off all of the hardware...The knobs, the drawer "tracks" and made sure the nails in the back were pounded in. Then, I laid down a large tarp (I could have done this all in my basement but the dresser/island was VERY heavy and Trevor was gone for the weekend). I then began painting the entire body of the dresser (excluding the top). This part is completely up to your preference though. My kitchen has wood floors and white cabinets, so although the original wood on the dresser was in great shape, I wanted it to blend into the kitchen instead of standing out.

After I painted the body, I painted the "extras". I purchased plain wooden knobs from Home Depot and a plain wooden "towel ring". I then painted the knobs/towel rings the same color as my windowpanes, which match my curtains, etc...).


Here are the "before" pics of the add-ons I chose. If you click on the picture, it will take you to Homedepot.com and the page you can purchase them on. Keep in mind that these are super cheap because they still needed "finishing", if you decide to buy hardware in stainless steel or something fancier, it may be a little pricier.

Once I had everything painted, and of course after letting it dry I began to "reassemble".

*Just as a side note, the dresser/island was about 2 inches to short for my preference, so I had the lumber guy @ Home Depot cut me (4) 2x2 blocks of wood. After painting them white, I screwed them onto each leg to make it just that much taller. (I know, I know, I never claimed to be sane).

Instead of putting the drawers back in, I decided to leave the bottem part as "open storage", so I can slide by mixing bowls and baking sheets in it. Obviously this isn't too pretty to view, so I attached a set of curtains to it that match mine. This covers up the "storage" space, and adds some color to the island.

After attaching my towel ring and the new blue knobs, I began to work on the "backside".

What to do w/ the unfinished backside was the hardest part of the "decision" process. After reading reviews and DIY guides I had a couple ideas in mind.It was a close toss up between buying a sheet of white beadboard and just attaching it to the back or.... (be prepared for an extremely long run-on sentence........)

Buying a large (obviously measured to fit the back) piece of plywood, spray painting it with "Chalkboard Paint" (what a concept right??) and therefore creating a functional island for me and a fun activity for Hunter Charles to do while I'm cooking!! SOLD. Whew. This part was simple, I just measured the backside of the dresser, took the measurements into Home Depot and had them cut me a piece of wood. I purchased the Chalkboard Paint, painted the wood with a few coats and after it was done drying, just drilled it onto the back of the dresser/island. Ta-da!

I'm super excited to show Trevor, although, knowing him he may not even notice the new object smack in the middle of the kitchen. I say this, because last night I got about 4 inches cut off my hair & some bangs and he didn't notice ;). Men...

Now, for the finished product. Drum Roll Please........




Island from the Front (sorry to the pic is so dark).




View from the Side/Back. Like I mentioned before, I painted a piece of plywood with chalkboard paint and attached it to the back.



Hunter Charles enjoying his new Chalk Board. He was obviously only making scribbles but he seemed so proud of himself!


The hard work paid off, that's for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...