Monday, November 29, 2010

Summer Island & Magic Hour by Kristin Hannah

Still tryin' to catch up on posts... Just about caught up but to make it easier I am going to do a "double-book review". I have been trying to read as much as possible lately as I find it to be my "escape" from life's pressures. Plus, since Hunter is obsessed with the laptop, it makes reading the only acceptable form of entertainment for me while he is playing. I've been keeping up on this Kristin Hannah kick and have decided to read all of her books. Well, I'm gettin' there...

First I read Summer Island.


This was a book I actually started over a year ago... lost my copy of the book and never finished it. Well, this past library run I saw it on the shelf and decided I needed to continue where I left off. It turned out to be a really good book. It was a little hard to get into at first but the story picks up quickly. It has two narrators throughout the book, Ruby-an outspoken twenty something who finds it easy to hide her true feeling behind her "humor". She has never been capable of falling in love or holding a steady job and blames most of this on the fact that her mother just up and left her (and her older sister) when they were young.

The other main character is Ruby's Mother Nora, who sees things in a completely different light. Although she feels terrible for leaving her kids behin
d, it turns out there are reasons behind why she left. The story takes you on a journey where Ruby and Nora are reunited due to a scandel and slowly the truth comes out about why Nora left. I will obviously keep all major details from you but the story teaches you that "things aren't always what they seem".

I also read a book of her's called Magic Hour.


This one was a little more "unpredictable" then Summer Island. I spent a majority of the book changing my ... "I bet this is what happens" thought. This story is about a child therapist who is hiding from a recent scandle, who is called back to her small hometown by her chief of police sister who is trying to solve a case involving a wild child that appeared in their town. It shows the power of coming together as a family when tragedy strikes. Both were great reads!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...