Wednesday, November 3, 2010

"The Things We Do For Love"



I feel as though I am experiencing Deja Vu. Once again, I picked up a Kristin Hannah book that I could not put down. There's something about the way she writes, that really paints a picture of what's happening. This one was no different...Actually, I can almost say that this was my favorite one yet. But, with that being said, I've liked them all so far so that's not really a fair statement.

The Things We Do For Love was a very easy one to get into. It is really about two women who live two very separate lives but are both missing a similar piece... Companionship. The main character Angie is in her late 30's and recently divorced. One of the biggest struggles her and her husband faced (and what was believed to be the demise of their marriage) was that they were never able to conceive a child. She let this destroy her life, in the sense that she never really felt "complete" without one.

The other main character Lauren, came from a broken home. Her mother was an alcoholic who never amounted to much. Lauren however, was the "ideal child". Despite the cards she had been dealt, she held a job from the time she was old enough to do so-and managed to get a scholarship to a prestigious private school. Aside from that, she was an excellent student and a participant in various sports and clubs. Also, while her Mom has men in and out of her life, Lauren has managed to land a steady boyfriend of four years.

When fate bring Lauren and Angie together, they find the true meaning to the word family and because I don't want to spoil anything for those of you that haven't read it-the title of the book really holds strong throughout the story. This is a true indication that family is what you make of it. The people in your life that are your "blood" do not define who you are. I think this may be my new favorite Kristin Hannah book. I would highly recommend it, it's hard to put down.

Next up, Winter Garden. I'm picking it up from the library tonight. Also on my radar, Safe Haven, the new Nicholas Sparks one. I have it on "reserve" so as soon as someone brings it back... It's mine. Mwa hahah.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...