Thursday, December 23, 2010

Home-Made Deer & Bear Ornaments!

Making your own ornaments...What an amazingly crafty gift to give around the holidays! The recipe I used was super easy;


Fun Salt Dough

4 Cups Flour
1 Cup of Salt
1 & 1/2 Cups of Warm Water

In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour & salt. Gradually add the warm water and knead the dough until "smooth". Roll out the dough and using a flour-covered cookie cutter (we chose a moose & a beer, go figure) and then cut out the "ornaments". Then, using a straw, punch a hole in the top part of the ornament. Then, in a preheated oven (200 degrees), let them cook for 2 hours, then leave in the oven an additional hour after turning it off. Take out of oven, let cool and paint away!


I chose to paint the deer and bear in a bronze metallic acrylic paint that I got at Michaels. I then signed the back for Hunter and put the year (2010) so we can keep track of them :).


And I love the way they came out! We will definately add this to our list of yearly Christmas traditions! The possibilities are endless...We'll have to find some cute cookie cutters for next year!

The finsihed product! Well, I lied. After I took this picture, I wrapped them up, realized I never painted the "face" on and proceeded to unwrap them, paint a little red nose and blue eyes on them. I was way too lazy to RE-TAKE the picture. After they were dry I re-wrapped them, all set!


Then I put them in a little home-made bag and they are good to go!

Merry Christmas Everyone! Now for a small photo op...

Mommy & Hunter, dough making fools!



Someone's gettin' pretty upset that I wont let him eat our masterpiece.
It's. Not. Food. Hunter.
Children. ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...