Thursday, December 30, 2010

DIY Buffett, WW & A Book Club

As if life isn't busy enough.. I'm adding a couple more projects to my plate. First off, I have this old dresser (yeah, I know what your thinking-stop stalking dressers & turning them into things...), sorry to dissapoint :). This was another "free" find on Craigslist, and coincidentally the guy I bought it from worked at our Paychex Webster Branch. Small world. Originally, I bought it to use as a buffett for our housewarming party. Then, I figured I'd leave it in our dining room to serve the same purpose year-round. I had all the intentions in the world of re-finishing it and having it out for display when people came over. Well, that was mid November. It's now almost January, and it still has the lovely tablecloth on it that I threw on last minute to cover the hideousness.

Well, apparently the last few months have been too busy because as we are taking down our Christmas Decorations and re-organizing the house, it dawns on me, that I still have not completed the project I set out to do. So, out comes the camera (for some before pics) and a quick trip to Home Depot for the paint.

My dining room theme is a sage green/purple color and decorated with a wine and grapes. The dresser currently, is a disgusting shade of white. So basically I was starting with a blank slate. I chose a simple off-white, originally I wanted to go w/ a Sage Green color but decided it may be "too much". My mind may change later though once I finish up my other dining room project.

I took out all of the hardware and threw it out.. see below pic to understand WHY these belonged in the trash.



Then, the madness began. I did sand or prime the dresser beforehand because I personally like the "distressed look". I think it adds character to certain items & it sure goes with our woodland/adirondack theme we've got goin'.

So now for some pics....

Before



After

The only thing missing at the time of the picture were the wooden knobs I purchased. Because I needed 16 matching ones, I had to order them online and they haven't arrived yet. They are the same ones I used on the kitchen island though, just not blue :).

As far as decorating it, I'm in the market for some really fun apothecary jars that I can fill up with random items such as wine corks or whatever I feel looks good!

Another item on my list of things to do, is the book club I've just joined. It's no secret I love to read & I love it when I can get recommendations on things to read. What a fun idea, thanks ladies for starting this up. I am set to purchase the book read for January, which is "I Do, Now What?". This may be suiting, although we haven't tied the knot yet, we have gotten a pretty good look at what "married life" is like. What a joy :). I'll be sure to post on here what my thoughts are on each read.

Also, January marks the start of my weight watchers journey. Yes, it's such a cliche to start a "diet" after the New Year, but let me start by saying this is slightly different folks. For me, it's more of a realistic "starting point". Let's face it, the holidays are a horrible time to start counting points & watching what you eat, so for me, it was my last "splurge" before I head back on the high road. I posted a year or so ago about Weight Watchers, but never really followed through with it. For me, it was the stress of being a new mom, mixed with being a working-mom and just general laziness.

Well, it's come to point where I'm just not happy. I don't feel comfortable with my current body weight, in fact, I have never been at this point before in my life. At first, I chalked it up to just having a baby...and let's be honest, he's turning 2 in May, it's time to stop blaming that. I wont post specifics, or turn this into a Diet-Driven blog, but I will be updating on my progress and my goals. Although I don't wanna broadcast certain details, I will tell you that after putting my information into the system, my goal weight is 45 pounds. I've had good luck in the past with this, my first year of college. Then, I stopped. Well this time, it feels right to me...and I will succeed. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...